Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Preparing For Tubes

Connor had his ENT appointment last week with Dr. K.  Before I talk about the appointment, I have to just say how wonderful the doctor's office is.  They were on schedule which is a HUGE plus for me, especially having a toddler!  Also the nurses were absolutely wonderful and made Connor feel more comfortable about the whole experience. All in all, I am so happy with the doctor we chose.

So the appointment started with Connor getting a couple of x-rays.  You could tell that the nurse does a lot of these, because we only had to do it once!  Then we went in the room for the consultation with Dr. K.  First thing he asked was "does he have an infection now" and I said "no".  Well to my amazement he actually had a double ear infection again.  I felt horrible because I had absolutely no idea.  Connor doesn't run fever or cry throughout the night when he gets these.  He may act a little cranky and pull on his ears a little bit, but he is also teething so it is very hard to determine what exactly it is.  Needless to say, Connor is back on antibiotics and we have scheduled his surgery.  He will be getting tubes and having his adenoids removed, which should drastically decrease the chance for more ear infections.  He will be having the surgery Memorial Day weekend, that allows us to make sure he is feeling 100% before he goes back to daycare.

In preparation for the tubes, Connor is practicing wearing his ear plugs.  Dr. K is a doctor who believes that kids with tubes need to wear ear plugs whenever they are bathing or swimming to eliminate water going in the ear.  The first night of practicing with the plugs was awful.  I think I said "no" at least a hundred times because he kept plucking them out.  Tonight we finally had success!  He left them in for his whole bath and I was so happy, especially because I was exhausted from fighting with him about keeping them in.





1 comment: