Tuesday, September 20, 2011

An Unexpected Family Reunion

This past weekend we drove up to Terre Haute, Indiana for a very unexpected family reunion.  My mom and Roy were headed to a family reunion in Lynchburg, Virginia when they received the heartbreaking phone call that her brother had been killed in a tragic accident.

When my mom called me, I was completely shocked and speechless.  All I could picture in my head was my loving uncle sitting across from me at breakfast a year ago when we were all in Atlanta for my cousin's wedding. Looking back, I definitely took that time for granted and wish I could go back. 

The funeral was Saturday afternoon and the entire family came in town.  It was good to see cousins and aunts/uncles that I haven't seen in years, however, I wish it would have been for different circumstances.  Since my uncle was retired Airforce, he had a military funeral.  The 21 gun salute made my heart stop and tears flow down my face, it was a very emotionally draining weekend. 

This accident was a reminder that tomorrow is never a guarantee and not to take life for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment